St Brigid’s aims to provide opportunities to develop and cultivate leadership qualities within all students. We aim to instil in students the Mercy values that underpin our school Vision and Mission: service, compassion, hospitality, courage, respect, justice.
Students from Year 6 all play an important role as school leaders at St Brigid’s. Year 6 students are responsible for setting a good example of being responsible, respectful and safe at all times.
In Term 4, Year 5 students participate in a Leadership Day that provides them with information on:
- Year 6 responsibilities and expectations
- Effective strategies to assist Kindergarten students and their families in their transition to ‘big school’
- Leadership through service to others.
Some of the leadership opportunities for Year 6 include:
- Presenting information about school initiatives
- Running of school assemblies
- Involvement in whole school liturgies
- Representing the school at community events e.g. ANZAC Day
- Presenting certificates at morning assemblies
- Being part of the Junior AECG committee, Aboriginal Education Consultancy Group
- Leading our schoolwide sustainability program
- Organising and running activities and competitions (e.g. Chess Club)